I don’t know if you can tell but we’re baking up a storm here at Homestay in LA. Here is our recipe for Jan hagel cookies:
1 Cup (or 2 sticks) butter
1 Cup sugar
1 Egg, divided
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Cups sifted flour
1 Tablespoon water
1/2 Cup chopped walnuts
1) Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl using a hand mixer , cream together the butter and sugar. Beat the egg yolk until incorporated. Beat in the cinnamon, then slowly beat in the flour until incorporated.
2) Spread the dough evenly over the bottom of a lightly greased jelly roll pan.
3) In a small bowl, beat the egg white with the water until frothy. Brush the egg white mixture over the dough, then sprinkle over the chopped walnuts.
4) Bake until puffed and lightly golden, about 20 to 25 minutes. The cookies will settle and deflate after baking.
5) Cut the cookies while warm into bars.